Saturday, December 19, 2009

I failed Zola: Carlo Ancelotti


Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that his errors during his days at Parma prompted Gianfranco Zola to move to Stamford Bridge in 1996, ultimately igniting an largely successful and respectful career in the British Isles.

The Blues head has strolled down memory lane before his men face Zola's West Ham on Sunday, stating that his managerial mistakes included playing the former forward out of position and putting him up for transfer.

The 50-year-old told the The Guardian: "Probably, I made a mistake with him because I wanted to play 4-4-2 and I put the players in the right positions but he [Zola] wanted to stay in the centre like a striker."

"In that period, when there was this discussion, Chelsea offered him a good contract and he decided to go. I think it was a mistake. It was my first experience in Serie A and I was not able to change the system."

Despite West Ham's low position on the Premier League standings, Ancelotti is refusing to undermine his match-day opponents, insisting they shouldn't be taken lightly.

"I think that Gianfranco Zola is not living a good moment but he has quality to improve."

"West Ham have had a lot of problems with injuries, but we have to pay attention to this game. It's a derby and they will put a very good spirit into this game," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment